Monday, June 1, 2015

Brushos, Cling Wrap and Repeat Impression Stamps


Happy Monday! Today is my turn to share a Project of the Week at my blog and Repeat Impression's blog. I recently discovered a fun technique that results in super cool backgrounds like the one on the card above. The first thing I did to create this look was to raid my kitchen for some cling wrap or saran wrap. We also need glossy cardstock and Brusho Colour Crystals (or other water soluble color powders.) And of course Repeat Impression's great stamps and a good black ink (I use black Archival Ink from Ranger.)

First I cut off a large piece of cling wrap and crinkled it all up. I laid it down on my craft mat but left in the crinkles. I sprinkled some turquoise and cobalt blue Brusho Colour Crystals on the cling wrap and wet them with Blue Skies and Gold Glimmer Mist. Water can be used to activate the Brushos for this or any technique, but I have found using Glimmer Mist results in even more beautiful sparkly results. I placed my piece of glossy cardstock face down in the colorful mess and folded the sides on the cling wrap around the piece. After flipping it, I crinkled the cling wrap up again moving the colors and crinkles until I liked the look. Here is what it looked like:


I waited about 10-15 minutes and removed the cling wrap. At that point, the lines from the cling wrap and Brushos are complete, but the piece is still very wet. I allowed the piece to dry, but it can be heat set with a heat gun. The finished look reminded me of water, so I stamped Repeat Impression's fish, sea weeds, bubbles and "happy hello" with black Archival Ink. I decided to make one of the fish a silhouette and colored him in with a black marker. I attached the completed piece to a white card base.


I was having way too much fun with my cling wrap, Brusho Colour Crystals and RI stamps to stop at one card, so I made this card too. This time I used vermillion, purple and crimson Brushos in my crinkled cling wrap and sprayed them with Sugar Maple and Gold Glimmer Mist to activate and enhance the colors. I placed a piece of glossy cardstock in the mixture and wrapped it up, then waited 10 minutes and this unique background was the result. I decided to cut a couple colorful strips for the card and attached them to the left side of a purple card base. Then I stamped Repeat Impression's dandelions and dreams sentiment and attached the completed piece to the card. This technique is so easy to do and the results are beautiful and unique every time! Thanks for letting me share my cling wrapped Brusho RI cards with you!

I am entering these cards in the Anything Goes challenge at Simon Says Stamp and 613 Avenue Create.

6 comments:

Em Louise Fairley said...

Karen, this is absolutely STUNNING! I love it and must try the technique. Thanks for joining us at 613 Avenue Create and I hope you'll join us again soon.

Hugs,
Em AKA Creative Em
613 Avenue Create DT

kiwimeskreations said...

Love your stunning backgrounds Karen - I am hoping to be able to buy some water soluable colours soon - your use of them is inspirational
Blessings
Maxine

Heather said...

Stunning cards Karen, I love your used of the cling film - I always have disasters!!
Great colour combinations and wonderful stamps!!

hugs
Heather xx
Thanks so much for joining us with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge

Kathy S said...

Great POTW Karen - I still haven't invested in these.

Sassy Raggedy said...

Oh how fun. I love this look. Gonna have to go a shopping...lol Very creative and the effect is awesome. Thanks for he inspiration. Hugs, joann

Verna Angerhofer said...

I ran across some cling wrap in my drawer the other day so might have to do this technique myself soon. I like what you did with it.