Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Gilding Flakes Joy Card




I was reminded recently by the brilliant Franki of Let's Create in Wisconsin Rapids of how fun and beautiful it is to design with gilding flakes. I had some years ago but it was no fun trying to apply them with glue or other adhesives. But now we have all the two sided sticky paper and our dies and it has become fun again to play with these beautiful golden flakes. Frankie had us apply an open die to a piece of the sticky paper and rub the flakes in with a piece of a stamp cleaner pad, then cut the die cut piece out by hand. I did that with the tree, but the cutting process took a long time. Then I thought- why not apply the gilding flakes to a piece of the sticky paper just larger than the die, rub it in and then die cut? I did that with the "joy" and it worked beautifully. The reindeer embossing folder is by Sizzix, the tree die is from Tim Holtz and the "joy" die is by W Plus 9. I love how this card turned out- even prettier IRL.

I am entering this card in the Anything Christmas challenge at Quirky Crafts and the Create your own Challenge at 613 Avenue Create.  I chose A2, Christmas and the colors gold and white.

3 comments:

Sheryl said...

Hi Karen, I just had to stop by and take a closer look at your beautiful card. It is stunning. Great to have you stopping by at 613 Avenue Create this week. Hugs Sheryl DT member xx

kiwimeskreations said...

What a wonderful card - love the gilding flakes over the black, but what could I use as a substitute for a stamp cleaning pad?? I don't have one...
Blessings
Maxine

Verna Angerhofer said...

A gorgeous card. I never used those flakes and therefore don't have any either, but I do love the look you achieved with them. It is always so neat that as time goes on they find easier ways for us to get our cards and dies looking fantastic without so much hassle. I am glad you found a great way to do your flaking.