Saturday, January 30, 2016

Two More Woodgrain Cards


I am loving a new technique I learned about here on the Snippets blog. It is easy and makes an authentic looking woodgrain background. I posted a card a couple days ago and today I am posting my second and third tries. I like the colors in this background the best so far. I used Vintage Photo, Weathered Wood and a little Black Soot Distress Inks. I cut the door with a new die from Embossing Essentials. To be honest, I thought all the little pieces of the door were going to cut out, but the name of the company who designed it should have been a hint- they emboss instead. So for this card, I cut it in black cardstock, embossed it and while the die was still on the cardstock, sponged with a white ink. I added Penny Black's "Into the Woods" tree die and a little red bird from Memory Box. Here is my favorite so far of the cards I have made with this technique:

I like how the door looks like it is part of an old weathered wood building. I used the same Distress Inks and the tutorial to create the background of this card. I cut the door out of the completed woodgrain piece, then embossed and sponged with black distress ink. I also sponged around the whole door before attaching it back in the door opening. I added the same white trees and little red bird to complete this card. This is the one I will teach my students next month in class.

I am entering the second card in the Anything Goes challenges at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge  and at 613 Avenue Create.

7 comments:

Rainey's Craft Room said...

These woodgrain effects look fabulous and your cards are great using it. Thanks for sharing them with us at 613 Avenue Create this week.
Lorraine DT

Karen Dunbrook said...

awesome cards mf...well done!

Virginia L. said...

Beautiful details, Karen! Awesome take with Karen D's inspiration! So glad that you join the fun over Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Anything Goes” Challenge!

kiwimeskreations said...

Fabulous cards Karen - I particularly like the second one, with the 'door' made out of the weathered wood.
Blessings
Maxine

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

That woodgrain is so realistic Karen! Great job! Have a lovely Sunday! Hazel xx
My Card Attic

Verna Angerhofer said...

Great card designs and love the wood grain look!

Glittered Paws said...

Oh love this technique and card. I had to play and almost c ouldn't stop with this technique. Woodgrain is so "in" now and to be able to make your own is "cost effective". Great card.