Thursday, March 10, 2016

Tonic Studios Kensington Handbag with Metallic Camo Technique


It’s my turn to post a Tonic Studios project on my blog and at the new Tonic USA blog, and I am sharing a Kensington Handbag gift card holder and a new embossing powder technique I have discovered. I have to say I absolutely love this new Kensington Handbag die set from Tonic Studios! It is just perfect for a small gift like a gift card or for a decoration at a bridal shower or friend’s gathering. 

I started by cutting out the main purse and side piece dies out of textured black cardstock and one of the front side pieces as well. I embossed the front piece in the Rosalyn Forever Moments A4 embossing folder and then rubbed Nuvo Indian Gold Embellishment Mousse over it for the lovely gold and black roses background.


                               
I discovered a new technique using Nuvo embossing powders recently and I made the back, top and purse handle ovals with my Metallic Camo technique. I have never seen this idea on Pinterest, in stamping magazines or on any of the blogs I follow so I think it is original. If you have seen it elsewhere or done it yourself, let me know so I can give proper credit. 



                            
I was thinking about different ways to use embossing powder and I wondered what would happen if I applied embossing powder to a two sided sticky sheet or strip and melted it with a heat gun? I sprinkled on Nuvo Classic Silver embossing powder in patches on the sticky strip by Sookang, removed the excess using the folded cardstock piece to return it to the jar. Then I repeated the process with the Nuvo Jet Black embossing powder. I finished with the Nuvo Classic Gold embossing powder filling in all the white space and then heat set the strip with my heat gun. The result is the gorgeous textured metallic finish seen here:

I shared some hints of this technique on my blog and one of my brilliant followers suggested it looks like camouflage, so I named it Metallic Camo Technique. I die cut the top, back and purse handle ovals out of these textured embossed pieces.


                              
I die cut the purse handles out of black cardstock and attached to the textured ovals with strong two sided tape. I added 3 perfect self-leveling drops of Bright Gold Crystal Drops to each purse handle. I wanted to use this beautiful purse to give a gift card to a friend, so I added one more strip of the Metallic Camo to the inside to hold the gift card in place.

                                    
I love how this Kensington Handbag gift card holder turned out and hope it has inspired you to try making one yourself. Be sure to subscribe to the Tonic U.S.A. blog here or follow us on Facebook here to see what the rest of the Tonic U.S.A. design team members make with this die and others.

Other: Sookang Two Sided Sticky Tape Rolls and sheets, heat gun, glue dots

11 comments:

Golden Goddess Designs said...

absolutely gorgeous!! great use for embossing powder and the purse is so cute! I am a new follower, thanks for stopping by my blog and following!

Alicia

Cara said...

Fabulous project and I love the effect of the embossing powders. Cara x

rachel said...

Hiya Karen - lovely that you dropped by my blog - came back over to leave you some love - fantastic work - now following! Hugs rachel x

designbydonna said...

What an adorable gift card holder. The holder itself is a special gift. Love the Mettalic Camo. I haven't tried it yet.

Lynne in NI said...

Wow, what a cool project!

Catherine said...

Great background on the purse, Karen! This is such an adorable gift card holder, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't love to receive it. Thanks for entering it in the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Cathie <3

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wowzer!! Really love this cool technique and your purse looks great!!

Donna Ellis said...

Fabulous, Karen! Thanks for sharing how you did this creation! Hugs, de

Verna Angerhofer said...

Truly a work of art. I love your handbag design!

Lisa Babitz said...

I love your purse project and the technique you discovered. Gorgeous!!

Patricia St Martin said...

WOW!!! Karen what a awesome technique, thanks for sharing. Turned out wonderful. Good Luck! I hope we see you again!! Thank you for joining us at Scrapy Land.
Hug, Patricia
Scrapy Land Store
rubber stamping is my game blog