Thursday, March 31, 2016

What Else Can We Do With Our Dies?


I am fascinated with coming up with different ways to use my Tonic Studios dies. I explored that idea in a Take 5 article that will be published in an upcoming Scrap and Stamp Arts issue and I will be teaching some of the cards I made for that article in a class April 29-30th at Let's Create in Wisconsin Rapids. More info on that to come. Today and tomorrow I am sharing 6 different cards using Tonic Studios Plush Peony Entwining Trellis Set. Here is a peak at what the die looks like:


There are seven pieces in this die set. The flowers can be cut inside or separately from the die. There are two different outside edges and you can cut the oval without the edges too.



For the card above, I cut the oval with the flowers along the fold of a card front. The beautiful oval trellis stands up when the card is folded in half. I also die cut some of the peonies out of white and green cardstock scraps. I sponged the green ones with Pine Needles Distress Ink, and sponged the white ones with a pink ink while the flowers were still in the die. I attached the flowers with pop dots and added Nuvo Sherbert Shimmer Glitter Drops to their centers. I added some Birthday Wishes (from Everyday Sentiments Two) and a little more pink Crystal Drops to complete this card.




Sometimes we want to make an A2 sized card with a larger die set like the Plush Peony Entwining Trellis Die. One easy way to do that is to create a stencil with it and sponge ink through part of it. I used my favorite new sponging tool, a Mini Smoothie from Creative Expressions (available at Let's Create) and aqua Distress Ink. I cut the top and bottom swirls off one of the die edges for the corners and stamped an "I Love You" tag from a  Indulgence Chalkboard set.


On my last card for today, I started by embossing only the trellis oval on a white A2 card front and sponging it with green ink. I sprinkled yellow, purple, blue and green Magenta Nuance colored powders on watercolor paper and spritzed with Shimmer Mist to activate the gorgeous colors. After it was dry, I die cut a bunch of the different sized of peonies and also a few greens from the outside edge of the die. After laying them down where I wanted them on the card, I covered the arrangement with Glad Press 'n Seal to hold them in place, took them off the card and applied glue. Then I flipped them back on the card and pressed down. Here are some pictures showing this brilliant idea I found on Pinterest:



I added some Woodland Green Crystal Drops on all the flowers to complete this card. Come back tomorrow for a few more cards using this same die set in different ways.

I am entering the last card in the "We can see clearly now" challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge and the second card in the Anything Goes challenge at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.

6 comments:

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Lovely card, love these blended colours!

Sandra said...

Wonderful cards, great idea to stretch you dies with lots of other techniques. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Cara said...

Thanks for sharing those great cards. Brilliant inspiration to think outside the box with our dies. Cara x

Verna Angerhofer said...

Great ideas for getting the most out of the dies. Thanks.

Jane Luxem said...

Great ideas, Karen!

Melissa Bove said...

Such beautiful creations!! Lovely designs! So pretty!

Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

hugs...
Melissa