Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Karen Burniston New Pop up Dies Series - Day Four


I think if I had to pick a favorite of Karen Burniston's new dies, it would be the Charm Accordion Die Set I used to make this card. It is so easy to make sweet pop up cards with this ingenious die cut set! When the recipient opens the envelope, this is what they see:


Cute, right? But then the card pops open to show the hanging charm and pivoting swinging squares shown here:


If I wanted, I could add a second set of pivoting frames and charms to the card and the next one I make I am going to do that. But I was charmed (pun intended) with this sweet birthday card just the way it was. I die cut the base, the jump ring and the charm frame out of thick black cardstock and followed the easy directions on Karen's video and PDF here to create the cardbase. I also cut two extra card bases out of polka dotted patterned designer paper and cut them in half at the center scored line. I used a trimmer to cut off 1/8" on each side, rounded the corners and adhered them to the front and two inside pieces. I punched a pretty butterfly out of the same dp using a The Paper Studios punch, added some sticker gems from Stampendous and adhered it to the stitched square frame in the first pivoting square. To finish the front, I die cut and adhered Happy Birthday from Karen Burniston's Word Set 2 - Birthday.


The charm frame has tabs on each side to attach to the swinging pivoting squares. I chose a butterfly charm for this card and after die cutting it and adding some more sticker gems, I hung it on the paper jump ring. I am amazed at how clever this design is and that it includes paper jump rings that hang charms on them! I diecut and attached "celebrate" from the Birthday Word Set and added a little punched butterfly (from Tonic Studios) onto the stitched white frame on the 2nd pivoting square. I die cut a stitched oval label from the 1011 Katherine Label Pop up set to sign the card on before sending it out. The finished size of this Charm Accordion Card when folded is a petite 4 1/4" by 3 1/4" so it will fit easily into an A2 envelope even when it is expanded to 4 swinging pivoting charming frames. 

I am proud to share that the very first one of the cards I created with the Karen Burniston Charm Accordion Die Set was immediately snatched up for publication at AllFreePaperCrafts.com. It is a sweet teacher thank you and I will share a sneak peak and a link here when it is published. I did have another new card go live yesterday and here is a link to check it out: https://www.allfreepapercrafts.com/Card-Making/U-R-Awesome-Handmade-Card/


Thanks for helping me #spread the joy of creativity!

4 comments:

Fikreta said...

wonderful card!

Golden Goddess Designs said...

wow! a paper jump ring??? I gotta see this! I own several of her pop up dies...guess I will put this one on my wish list. Thanks Karen for showing it off and congrats on being published!

Alicia

kiwimeskreations said...

What a fabulous die and fantastic card Karen!! Love it
Blessings
Maxine

Verna Angerhofer said...

Fabulous fun card designs. Who doesn't like a pop up design?