Monday, December 23, 2019

Video - How To Use Three Common Household Items for Textured Cardmaking


Do you have cardboard boxes, napkins and masking or painter's tape in your house? Most of us do, and in my newest video I show how to use these three items to make easy textured cards! 

Did you know you can rip a cardboard box apart, then rip off the top layer to reveal a cool corrugated textured inside piece that is perfect for masculine and other cards? I sponged brown ink on this background and added some pretty birds (Sizzix die) and peace (Tonic Studios die.) The feather was die cut out of another piece of the corrugated cardboard but because it went through the die cut machine, it is flatter yet still textured. I brushed on some ink and added some sparkle with Nuvo's Midas Touch Aqua Shimmer brush marker. I show in the video how perfect this gold brush marker from Tonic Studios is on almost all the cards I made in this video. 
I bet you have masking tape and/or painter's tape in your house, right? Years ago we made backgrounds by tearing masking tape into little pieces but that takes way too much time for me. So I tried simply tearing the masking tape and  blue painter's tape into uneven strips and layering them for the sand and sky on this card. I sponged on brown ink for the variations in color on the sand. 

The cacti above and the feather and birds in this card were made with another common household item you probably have - paper napkins. Dave from Memory Box showed in this video how to take white napkins and watercolors to create pretty textured die cut pieces. I do not have plain white napkins nor do I own watercolors so I tried it with some slightly patterned napkins and my Nuvo Aqua Flow pens and love how these turned out. This is the card I make step by step in the video and to see how easy it is to create these textured gorgeous die cut feathers and birds, I recommend you watch this new video. If you are too busy this week with the holidays, make a note on your calendar to stop back later. 

The gorgeous gold shine on all the napkin pieces was added by simply brushing on Nuvo Midas Touch Aqua Shimmer and the pretty colors were created with Nuvo Aqua Flow pens. I die cut another feather opening and added a beautiful Clear Views transparency in the feather frame. Thinking of You is a favorite sentiment die from Sue Wilson. The birds were created with a die cut from Impression Obsession and the feather dies are older ones from Kelly Purkey and Die-Versions.

To see how I made this card and many more samples of cards with awesome texture created with common household items, watch the new video here.

Wishing you and yours peace and joy this holiday season and into the new year!

No comments: