Monday, May 23, 2022

Stepping Up The Floating Strips Technique For My Newest Video


I love to take a technique or idea and expand on it and make many cards with different ideas, and that is what I have done in my new video here with the Floating Strips or Floating Elements technique. I have seen many lovely cards in Pinterest and Instagram with this idea and traditional shapes like circles with strips of paper over a raised die cut shape of acetate with tiny slits so the image appears to be floating. I decided to try many different shaped dies and then move on to try embossing and stencils as well. In last week's video I demoed some edger dies from Made to Surprise and had a lovely lilacs piece of paper from Paper Wishes sitting here so I made this card with it:


The stitched flower die is called Vivid Bloom from Birch Press Design and check out what I did on the inside with the negative of the acetate strips flower:


I will write a message and sign the card inside that pretty floral shape. Here is another of my favorite cards made with the Floating Strips technique and dies and papers from Paper Wishes called Foggy Forest:


The border oval pines die is from W Plus 9. After making many cards with different die shapes, I decided to try embossing folders and stencils on the acetate and paper strips and here is another favorite card made for the video:


I cut the marble strips in three different colors and sizes and attached to a piece of acetate then embossed the whole piece in a 3D embossing folder from Simon Says Stamp. The sentiment is a die from Sue Wilson and the floral sprig die is from Gina Marie Designs. Here is the card I made in the new video:


This card features the gorgeous Split Rose Flourish Stencil from A Colorful Life Designs on both the background and on the oval floating image piece. I show how to add ink through the stencil, cut the strips, add to acetate with foam adhesive strips, cut with the stitched oval die (from Dies...To Die For) and then attach where the pattern flows from the backgrround in the oval front in the new video here. 

I love how these cards turned out and hope they encourage you to give this technique a try and then send your cards out into the world to spread the joy!

2 comments:

Verna Angerhofer said...

I love all the beautiful cards you have made.

Christine said...

These are oh! So beautiful!
Love the different ideas, thank you for sharing how you 'played' around. Very inspirational.