Thursday, August 11, 2022

Last Four Faux Rice Paper Cards and a Napkin Alternative Readily Available


Here is another of my favorite cards from my newest video which shares how to do the Faux Rice Paper Technique with many cards I made. On the 2nd and 3rd layers from 2 or 3 ply napkins, I liked to add glass glitter to add some sparkle. On this card I added some specialty embossing powder mix and like the look, but did find I cannot heat set the napkin and rice paper before removing it so the heat gun apparently melted it too much. The glass glitter stuck well but the embossing powder was not sticking so I heat set it before removing the napkin (after dry) and that did not work. I am going to play with that again. But I love this card with the translucent faux rice paper showing the "Thinking of You" sentiment (from Papertrey Ink) inside and the pretty two layered butterfly (with a Hero Arts die).


Here is a mini-slimline card with two layers of faux rice paper and a floral two layer "hello." 


The faux rice paper can be attached with glue dots or skinny two sided tape or mixed media medium as I did on this card. The floral spray die is from Gina Marie Designs. 


I experimented with patterned vellum (did not work) and patterned gift tissue paper which did work great! The napkins for this technique have to have lots of white space and those can be hard to find, so I was happy to discover patterned gift tissue paper worked great! I created this slimline card with a card base made of the faux rice paper with feathers on it, so I added some die cut feathers from Tim Holtz and Sizzix. 

These cards are so much prettier in real life or in a video than still pictures, so check out the new video here to find out how easy this technique is and how to make great cards with it. 

No comments: