Monday, August 8, 2022

What Can You Make with Napkins and Glue?? Faux Rice Paper Cardmaking Video


OMG- occasionally I find a technique that absolutely blows me away and I get so excited to play with it, and then design cards I can hardly sleep at night. I found some Faux Rice Paper tutorials on line and loved the look. Most of the makers I watched were using their faux rice paper for journals and mixed media pieces, but I am a card maker, so my newest video shows how to make the faux rice paper and then make cards with it. 

Here is the card I made in the new video:



I took the 2nd picture to show how transparent the faux rice paper is after it dries. The "friend" die cut is on the inside of the card. I show in the new video how all you need is pretty napkins, white glue, freezer paper and coffee or something to add color to the white glue to do this technique. And a lot of patience- the faux rice paper takes hours to dry - best to leave it overnight. Here is another similar card I made showing the same napkin rice paper piece over a yellow background with the original napkin used: 




Here is another favorite of the many cards I share in the new video. The 2nd photo shows how translucent the faux rice paper is. The feather in the upper right corner is on the inside and all the feathers were cut with a new Tim Holtz Sizzix die set and the sentiment is from Sue Wilson and Creative Expressions. I sprinkled on some glass glitter to the glue mixture before setting it aside to dry on this and on the next card for some extra sparkle which I love.  


I love this card but it is easier to see in the video than in a still photo how translucent and beautiful the card base is. Did you notice the last two cards do not have a pattern from a napkin? That is because we can use the 2nd and 3rd layers of the napkins to make gorgeous translucent faux rice paper! It really is so cool and so easy to do as I show in the new video here. 

I hope you will watch the new video and then give the technique a try! 

No comments: