Saturday, February 22, 2014

Couture Creations Design Team Application Round 2


I am thrilled to share I have made it through to the second and final round of the Couture Creations Design Team Call! For this round we are to design and blog a new project featuring a Couture Creations embossing folder, our choice of dies and Core'dinations Cardstock if we have it.

I have a whole collection of Core'dinations cardstock since it is my favorite, and have chosen two kinds of Core'dinations Cardstock to create my card with. The card base is made with Core'dinations Vintage Collection, and the heart was cut from Core'dinations Gemstones Cardstock. I experimented with several different shades of blue Core'dinations Cardstock for the heart, and tried sanding them to highlight the embossing. Core'dination's core cardstock is perfect for that technique, but I decided I liked the Gemstone cardstock without the sanding the best for my embossed heart.

I embossed a 5 1/4 inch white cardstock square with Couture Creation's Butterfly Hugs embossing folder. I also embossed the heart (cut out with a Spellbinders Nestabilities die) in the Butterfly Hugs folder, as shown in the picture below:
I attached the heart to the white embossed cardstock with pop dots to raise it, and then attached the completed piece to the front of the card. The real magic of the card happens when you open it. Take a look:


The butterflies pop up and appear to be floating when the card is opened! The technique is called Floating Image and this is how you create this fun effect:

Cut two pieces of matching cardstock 5 1/2" by 6", and score each at 5 1/2" on the 6" side. Apply strong two sided adhesive tape to the two 1/2 inch tabs and line them up together. (I chose to make my card a 5 1/2" square card. If you wanted to create an A2 size card, cut two pieces of cardstock 4 3/4" by 5 1/2" and score at 4 1/4" on the 4 3/4" side. You want an half inch tab in the center of the two pieces.)

Next you will want to decide what you want to pop up when the card is opened. I chose to die cut a polka dotted butterfly with a beautiful large butterfly die from Cherry Lynn Designs, and two smaller butterflies cut out of white cardstock with a die by Memory Box. They are attached to pieces of acetate cut 1/2 inch wide and to the height you want your floating images to be. I chose to place the larger butterfly on a piece 2 1/4 inches high and the two smaller ones on a 3 inch acetate piece. Lay your pop up elements inside the card so they do not extend beyond the sides of the card as shown here:

When you are happy with the placement, remove the outer protective cover of the two sided adhesive on one of the 1/2 inch folds and attach the acetate strips and die cuts pieces. They will pop up and appear to be floating in the air. (As is the designer's prerogative, I changed my mind and placed the two smaller butterflies on one acetate strip in the finished card.) Remove the other adhesive cover and attach the front of the card to the back in the center as shown here:
For the inside of the card, I die cut Memory Box's Grand Happy Birthday on the top of a 5 inch square piece of white cardstock. I also cut out the negative of the Kaleidoscope Butterfly by Memory Box and attached the positive of the same butterfly in the opening.

I think the surprise of the pop up floating butterflies in this card would delight anyone celebrating their birthday. I enjoyed sharing this technique and my card with you, and thank Couture Creations for the opportunity to participate in Round Two of their Design Team Application process.

11 comments:

Vicky Briggs said...

LOVE LOVE the card! You always make everything you do look so easy. I love the idea of the butterflies, what a wonderful idea. What is better than your own flying butterflies on your birthday? This would make anyone smile as soon as they opened up their card.

Jane Luxem said...

This is beautiful! What an awesome technique and loving the folders!

ChickAlizadeh said...

Wow . . . your beautiful work never fails to amaze me. . .you make everything seem so effortless. you make simple elegant.. Love the whole package. . but I thing the flaoting idea is what stole me heart. Thanks for all your heard work.

Unknown said...

Wow that is beautiful..wish I could make something so pretty.

Becky said...

Wow, such beautiful creations.

Karen Schroeder said...

Karen, your card is absolutely gorgeous! I love the floating butterflies! Thanks for sharing this cool technique!

happyglitzygirl said...

A beautiful and elegant design, lovely cool colour match. Just perfect, great card, blessings Hilde

Arts by Sara said...

Oh Karen... Your card is absolutely amazing! I love butterflies and these are just perfect... gives me the feel that spring is right around the corner; instead of another snow storm!!! Hugs!!!

Victoria H. said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! Love the beautiful card front but how wonderful is the surprise inside of floating butterflies.

Lauren T said...

Wow, those floating butterflies look amazing, what a fantastic idea. Good luck for Round 2 selection!

Lucianna Dilsaver said...

So pretty with the embossing and I love the floating butterflies! Beautiful :)