Monday, February 3, 2014

Pillow Top Background Project of the Week


 I discovered a background technique recently called the Pillow Top Background on one of my searches of bloggerland and am sharing how to make it with you today as my Project of the Week.


The supplies you will need to make this background are a piece of cardstock, a jumbo sponge dauber,  a piece of acetate, a favorite ink and some temporary adhesive. Use the temporary adhesive to attach your cardstock to your work surface (I like to use a craft sheet, but any surface will do.) Place your piece of acetate diagonally from the top left to the bottom right and lightly sponge your ink with the jumbo dauber from corner to corner. You can always add ink if you want some more, but you cannot subtract it, so use a light touch. Move the acetate about a half inch down diagonally and repeat until you get to the corner. How much space between lines and how much ink you use is totally up to you for the look you want. Start at the center and go up to the other corner with the same space between lines.


Turn the acetate diagonally to start in the center from the upper right corner to the bottom left corner and repeat until the cardstock piece is covered with diagonal lines both ways. I like to then lightly sponge all around the edge of the piece with the same ink. I took the piece I sponged with the light green ink and made a fun card with Repeat Impression's Martini Glass and "Olive You." I added a sparkly heart in the olive and to dot the i. 


On my second card, I used the Pillow Top Technique to create the pink lines and cut the piece in a fun angle. I layered it on a bright pink piece cut at the same angle and put it on a white top folding card. I stamped "Little Judy" and her Mom from Repeat Impression's Legacy Series with black ink on a white piece and cut them out. I added the perfect baby sentiment in pink to complete this baby girl card.

I hope these cards inspire you to try the Pillow Top background technique. It has become one of my favorites for a subtle and easy background.

Stamping smiles, Karen 

4 comments:

Verna Angerhofer said...

I like the sponging technique to make a neat background. I have used that method occasionally myself.

mulberry station said...

What a fun technique. I am going to have to try it sometime. Thansk for sharing your darling card with us at Catch The Bug.
Nancy

Cheri said...

Karen, this is a fantastic technique and I am going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing it.

Tammy Miller said...

What a great project, very cute!! Thanks so much for Joining us for our Feb Anything Goes Challenge at Catch the Bug, I hope you join us again very soon