Monday, June 21, 2021

Video - Cardmaking with a Salad Spinner and Watercolor Powders


I am spinning with delight after discovering a new way to make fun colorful backgrounds on my cards! I have never spun lettuce or spinach in a salad spinner, but now own two salad spinners dedicated to only crafty spinning as I share in my newest video here.


This is one of the many cards I share in the video and I show exactly how easy and fun it is to spin the colors onto the background of this card. I started with a smaller salad spinner but explain why I highly recommend a larger one like the one from Farberware I show in the video. I was inspired to try this technique by Karen Dunbrook but on her spun cards she used alcohol inks. I did not have much success with my limited supply of alcohol inks, but pulled out my Brusho Water Colors and made the three cards I am showing in this blog post. However, be sure to watch the video and check back here because I have many more cards to share with you using other watercolor powders and various products. The card above features the super cute Whittle Fish Trio and Whittle Sealife Sentiment Stamps from Poppystamps as well as the shaped stitched die from Whimsy Stamps. I show in the video how I spritzed watercolor paper with water, sprinkled on three colors of blue Brushos, sprayed again with Technique Junkies Shimmering Bliss Dolphin Cove spray and then spun the salad shaker for the magical results. I also sprayed this and many of my cards with Glitter Dust from Therm O Web for extra sparkle. 

Here is another of my favorite cards created with Brusho Crystal Colors watercolor powders and water in my salad spinner. It is so pretty and I simply added some birds cut with an Impression Obsession die set and a favorite sentiment die from Sue Wilson. The stitched squares are dies from Crealies.


Here is another card I share in the new video created with Brushos and the salad spinner. I framed the background with a beautiful die from Hero Arts, added a couple of punched butterflies and another lovely sentiment from Sue Wilson. 

I had so much fun creating cards in my salad spinner for this video! I have many more cards to share with you here and in the video, so be sure to stop back and watch here.

I am entering the first card in the Animal Antics challenge at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday.

4 comments:

Verna Angerhofer said...

Great card designs with those colorful backgrounds.

Karen Dunbrook said...

so beautiful...well done
xx Karen

Celeste Goff said...

Such a cool effect!

Karenladd said...

These backgrounds are just amazing and now I'll be looking at my salad spinner in a different way. I have the Colorbursts, so no excuse not to give it a try. Of course, I really need to buy a "craft spinner", so as not to turn my food salad spinner into abstract art! LOVE that undersea background.