Monday, May 7, 2018

Video- Nuvo Shimmer Powders Sparkle and Gorgeous Color!


I have posted a new YouTube video today that is chock full of card samples and information on a new pigment water activated powder from Tonic Studios called Nuvo Shimmer Powders. I have most of the watercolor powders on the market and I will say that these Nuvo Shimmer Powders are my favorite. It is hard to see in the pictures, but the powders shimmer with Mica and create gorgeous glimmer on our cards and projects. The video here is long I admit because I had so much fun playing and then making cards with what I created. You can break it down into two sessions if you wish, or choose to watch the first 17 minutes with all the backgrounds and a few technique tips, or the part after the 17 minute break with all the finished card samples and more techniques you could try with the Nuvo Shimmer Powders.

Today on my blog, I am sharing three of my favorites of the many cards I created with the Shimmer Powders. As I show in the video, all you need to do to get a gorgeous background is sprinkle on a few colors of the Shimmer Powders onto watercolor paper and spritz with water. Then cut a few lovely diecuts and you have a beautiful card. For the card above, I die cut Technique Tuesday's Tulip on the Border die on the side of a piece I created with Catherine Wheel, Cherry Bomb and Solar Flare Shimmer Powders, and then added "On Your Day" from Tonic Studios. 


I watched Paula Pascual demo at Creativation 2018 in the Tonic Studios booth and on Hochanda shows using Nuvo Aqua Flow Pens to wet watercolor paper with gorgeous color and then add the shimmer powders for more color and shimmer, so I tried that on this card. The result reminded me of a sunset or sunrise, so I added Memory Box's Cat Tail Sunrise die cut out of black cardstock. I tried to bleach out the moon but when that did not work, I die cut and added a thicker vellum moon and love the look. I made this card a Thank You card with a "thanks" die from Die-Versions.


My third favorite card of all those I did with the Nuvo Shimmer Powders was made with a technique I also demo in the video. It involves cling wrap, glossy cardstock and a beautiful mess created with the Shimmer Powders and is so fun to do. I created this card with one of the pieces I made using Kat Scrappiness Condensed Alpha diecuts and part of a "thinking of you" die from Tonic Studios. 

I am entering the second card in the Anything Goes challenge at Scrapy Land and the May Linky Party at Crop Stop. 

To see many many more card samples and techniques using Nuvo's Shimmer Powders, come watch the video here. Thanks for sharing, subscribing, watching and helping me #share the joy of creativity!

6 comments:

Bernardine Cuttino said...

Wow, loving your new discovery. Must put on my long list. These cards are beautiful. Especially, like the first and second. Beautifully crafted. Thanks for joining us at scrapyland-blog.com.
Hugs
Berni DT

Esther Asbury said...

Beautiful cards - I especially like the one you linked up to Cropstop with that pretty moon and the silhouettes in the foreground!
Thanks for linking up to the current link party!

kiwimeskreations said...

Fabulous cards Karen - the sunrise one in particular is stunning
Blessings
Maxine

Verna Angerhofer said...

All are so beautifully done. I really love the scene one a great deal as that looks awesome.

Belinda said...

Wow Karen these are stunning!! I love what you have done with the shimmer powders to create these beautiful backgrounds. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Scrapy Land Challenge.

Andreas Schwarz said...

Hi Karen, just rewatched your video and need to thank you for all your inspiration. Your cards are really amazing! It's great that you tested several types of paper and showed different techniques. Love these powders but always have a hard time to turn the colourful paper into cards. It's a journey. Thanks a bunch for your sign post.