Monday, September 20, 2021

Video - Cardmaking With Tangrams and Foil Cardstock


Have you heard of tangrams? I had not but sure had fun creating them for the many cards I share in my newest video here. I saw a beautiful swan card made by a Crealies dt member and decided to purchase the Crealies square Chinese puzzle die she used to create her swan. In her video, she was looking at patterns I now know are tangrams. The tangram is a set of 7 geometric pieces in different shapes and sizes that form a square. When I started searching Pinterest for tangrams, I was blown away by all the animals and geometric and abstract figures that can be created simply by rearranging the 7 pieces! Here is a link to my Pinterest board with hundreds of ideas I pinned


All of the cards in my newest video show different tangrams and each features foil cardstock. I love the look of embossed foil cardstock and in this card I embossed the copper foil background and the tangram horse with an embossing folder from WeR Memory Keepers. 


This is the card I made in the video and it features my favorite embossing folder technique - inlaying the "flower" tangram right into the circle front with an embossing folder from Altenew. The card is a circle easel card and the front is held up with a layered Celebrate die on pop squares from Dies...To Die For at Shopscrapbook101.com. Here is another view of the inlaid embossed front: 


The tangram pattern was called a propeller but I also saw a flower and decided to use it as such for my card. I show many more cards with different tangrams in the video, but here are some pictures of patterns I made templates for but did not make into cards yet: 





All of these use the same 7 pieces but all are totally different sizes and images depending on how we arrange the pieces! The possibilities are endless! To see many more cards and how I made the round easel card above, watch the new video here. 

I hope the cards I share encourage you to give these ideas and products a try! 

I am entering the second card into the Lots of Layers challenge at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday. 

2 comments:

Verna Angerhofer said...

That was a new term to me but I love the cards you made!

Christine said...

I remember playing with a set of wooden pieces when I was a child.... Happy memories.
Thank you
Must admit your cards look good....